Friday, November 16, 2007

Dark GTK theme issues

If you have ever tried a dark gtk theme you probably know the issues that can occur. They look really nice but then in some programs they just ruin everything like, Firefox and Open Office.

I found a nice dark theme which I enjoyed and almost fixed all the Firefox problems, I at least made it tolerable to use.

My big annoyance was with Open Office, the document was black and I typed with white text. I just couldn't adjust to this. Then I found a nice how to fix this problem post some where. All I had to do was Open, Open Office and go to tools>options>appearance and change document color to white.

This would seem easy but in Gutsy Open office has this funky bug where it liked to freeze with certain gtk themes, that bug can be read about here. THe bug has been reported and talked about bug for some odd reason Ubuntu still hasn't put the fix into there repos yet.....bummmer.

Anywho if you don't feel like waiting for Ubuntu and you don't feel like compiling a new Open Office from source with a patch applied, and you still want to use your black gtk theme then I have a simple solution.

For some reason Open Office likes the Human theme so switch back to it temporarily then open, Open Office and go to tools>options>appearance and change document color to white. Then go back and change your theme to your dark theme and now Open Office will have its white document: